Saturday, February 20, 2010

Carry your Sword

Many times I'm faced with a patient who doesn't make sense.  In other words, they haven't read the text book.  Something is going on with him or her that doesn't seem to fit the mold of a physical problem.  Ms. A was one of those patients.  She's currently pregnant with her fourth child, about 22 weeks along.  Two weeks ago she presented to the hospital with bleeding.  A physical exam and ultrasound had revealed that all was well.  A few days ago she presented to my clinic with contraction-like pains.  She didn't have a urine infection, and monitoring and exams revealed that she was not in labor.  The Holy Spirit prompted me to try to find out the answer to the question, "What is really wrong with Ms. A?".  Through a series of questions, we began to talk about the stresses in her life.  She related to me that her heart was full of fears regarding the pregnancy.

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." (1 John 4:18)

Ms. A told me that she used to have a right relationship with Jesus, and that she had accepted His free gift of salvation.  However, she felt that Jesus was far away during this pregnancy.  We talked about how Jesus is the only one who can offer perfect love, and how perfect love is the only thing that can drive out fear.  We shared a time of prayer together.  She recommitted her life to Jesus, and told me that she is going to start going to church again!

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction in right living." (2 Tim. 3:16)

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Benedicks,
    I tried to send you a message a couple days ago and I don't think it went through. It's hard for us oldies to know all these electronic tools and be functional with them! Anyway, I'm trying again. I sure enjoy reading your updates. Kathy and I just recently got home from 9 days in Haiti. I had several conversations with doctors working in the Dessalines hospital. They were telling me stories which sound so much like your own. I really enjoyed reading your message, Kristina. I really related to the mundane side of your life. I lived that feeling a lot when we were abroad in Yemen and Turkmenistan. "How did coming all this way accomplish anything for God?--I would wonder. In years past, I have come to grips that these are truly eternal matters which our part is purely obedience. Once in a while God shows us a glimmer which we probably need to stimulate the vigor to stay our course. I know you will do the same. Kathy and I pray daily for you. Our love is with you. Earnie

    ReplyDelete