Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shell Life

There are many good things about life here in Shell, but sometimes they have a negative side too. For example:
Because of the humidity the kids’ play-do never dries out here, but gum turns to mush in a few days if it’s not in the fridge.

You hardly ever have to worry about being late, since there isn’t much of a concept of time. I’ve always been one to be early so I was pretty proud of myself for arriving at our church for a quincinera at 5:20 instead of 5:00 when the invitation said it begun. Unfortunately “late” is relative and it didn’t really begin until 6:50. I can handle a little late but two hours is pushing it with me, and God has really had to work on my patience level for culture shocks such as these. My two little ones don’t hold out too well waiting either :)

We have pretty nice weather year-round and many sunny days, but sitting on the equator means no seasons, and I so miss fall - no falling leaves, no geese flying overhead, no pumpkins (and this includes no pumpkin flavored ice cream, coffee, or pie…boo-hoo.)

We haven’t had a gas bill for a car in over a year so have saved lots of money this way. I do have to walk a lot, though, and it’s a getting a little more difficult now that I’m in my third trimester. The community of Shell must not have the best planning committee, because almost every road in town is torn up somewhere or another. As I walked Caleb to preschool today we noticed the road they had just relayed the cobblestone blocks on was being torn up again. We’re not quite sure what they’re doing and why they didn’t plan ahead a little more.

We always look forward to mail here, and we never get junk mail in our box. However, we would love to get MORE, so if you’re looking to send an old fashioned letter to someone we’d gladly accept it.

Overall life here in Shell is peaceful and our days are filled with fun. Every town has its own little quirks and God can teach us a lot just through “surviving” day to day life wherever we live if we give our hearts to Him to mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment