Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Aerobics...Interesting!!!

Tonight I was invited by one of  the seminary students to try out aerobics with some of  the female students.  When I walked into the room there was a strange smell which came from a cream the girls were rubbing on their stomachs.  Since everyone else was doing it, I wanted to fit in, and had them put some on me.  I'm pretty sure it was Vick Vapor Rub (or the Ecuadorian equivalent).  They put it on their stomachs because it supposedly helps you lose weight there while you workout.  Some of the girls were also wrapping saran wrap around their stomachs so they would sweat more and lose weight faster.  We had a 'director' that led all the moves to North American music ("You Want to be my Lover", "I Like to Move It, Move It" and others).  There are seminary students from Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, and Columbia here, so we have quite the mix of people and cultures, from very "citified" people to others that come from indigenous tribes in the jungle.  As the girl next to me and I tried to figure out the moves, it made me smile knowing that she is from a tribe in the Oriente and speaks more Quechua (the most common indigenous language) than Spanish.  Overall it was a pretty good workout and I had a lot of fun  "fitting in" with the people here.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! This made me laugh out loud! If it really does work though you have to let me know! Good talking to you guys tonight! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete