Friday, January 1, 2010

Tropical Medicine 101

By the beginning of this week we were pretty much moved in so it was time for me (Dan) to begin my duties in the hospital.  While going through medical training it's necessary to work in a huge variety of clinics and hospitals.  I think I've worked in at least ten different large centers over the past 7 years.  So, I know that it's always a bit of a challenge to get used to a new system and find out where everything is.  Pile that on top of learning to speak Spanish in every conversation and note, gaining a grasp of tropical medicine, and taking on a role as a teaching physician, and you've got yourself a nice little challenge.  Every medicine, disease, instrument, and body part has a name in Spanish, and many of those words are still unknown to me.  When in doubt, you can usually try to say the English word with a bit of a Spanish accent, consider adding an "o" to the end, and just say what comes to mind.  I find that that works at least half the time.

It's been a huge blessing being around such supportive people at the hospital to make sure that I'm not drowning in the newness.  There aren't too many jobs in the world where you can go to work and be surrounded by committed Christians on every side.  And of course, Kristina and the kids have been a huge help around our home, and I look forward to their hugs each day at lunch break and at the end of the day.  Kristina has a great heart for encouragement, and she's already been baking for patients and bringing them special treats.

One of the new things that I've had to get used to is the fact that almost everyone has one or many "friends" living in their digestive tract.  One of the docs here gave me the advice to just give anti-parasite drugs to anyone who hasn't been treated during the past 6 months.  Since almost every stool test I've ordered has come back positive for critters, I think it was good advice. 

I've already been involved in a couple of c-sections.  I'm finding that I really enjoy getting to do that procedure and help a baby come into the world.  Unfortunately, my first c-section patient has had a bear of a time recovering from surgery, as she seems to be suffering from just about every possible post-operative complication. I have to admit it's been humbling for me to have one of my first patients have so much trouble, because, as the new guy, I'd like to show that I know what I'm doing.  Alas, God is definitely in control, and it's been a good experience for me to keep my confidence where it should be--in the Lord who created all of us!  As Socrates once said, "True wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing."  I'm thankful to God that He will guide me through important decisions with patients, and that I don't have to prove my worth by my knowledge of medicine.  I pray that He'll help me to remember that my worth is in Him.

Thank you all for your prayers, support, and interest in what's going on down here at the Equator.  Please be praying that I'll be open to the Holy Spirit's leading to know what to say to patients to bring them closer to a relationship with Jesus.  Also pray for Kristina, as she is seeking the Lord's will as to which ministries to be involved in.

Spanish Lesson for the Day:
desafio (with an accent on the "i")-  challenge

2 comments:

  1. Hi Benedicks! I've tried posting a couple comments on your blog but Carol told me at church this morning they aren't showing up so I'm trying again. I think I may have found the right little icon this time to click. If not, I am writing another phantom comment. I loved reading your past two summaries. I really remember our first Christmas away from family. Even though we did spend it with the families where we were residing, it doesn't quite fill the hole in the heart. I'm so glad you are finding some success at the hospital. I really chuckled at the buddies the locals have. I remember meeting some of those buddies! They really like to cling to their friends! Please know we are praying each day for you and all the family. Our love, Earnie & Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, Kristina, and family ... this is Lori Whitwer (Pryor), an old friend of the Benedick family. I saw the link to your blog on your mom's Christmas letter this year ... and I think what you guys are doing is absolutely amazing and inspiring and WONDERFUL!!! I'll be sure to check back from time to time, and will definitely keep you all in my prayers as you serve the Lord through missionary work. God Bless you and your family~

    ReplyDelete