Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gapito's Heart

No matter where a Christian lives, there are little opportunities to serve the Lord. We all have gifts that the Lord’s given us, and there are people out there who can benefit if we’ll listen to the Lord’s leading.

I’ve been blessed with a six figure school debt that translates into a little bit of medical knowledge. I’m finding out every day how little my knowledge still is! Back in the States, I often was able to use my education to treat an ear infection or deliver a baby for a fellow church member. Here in Ecuador, there are other opportunities, including the preschool right at our own church. The preschool mainly consists of 4-6 year-olds who come from low-income families. Most of the kids don’t actually attend our church, and many of their parents are not Christians. We view the school as an effective outreach to the community.

The pre-school’s director, Marcela (who is also the pastor’s wife), asked me if I could come take a look at the kids and give them a bit of debugging. It’s the old Albendazole+ Secnidazol one-two worm-killing punch. A few weeks ago I was able to get a few hours off, and I went on over to give them a quick exam. I found some of the things that I had expected to find. A few kids were underweight and malnourished. One girl had impetigo on her nose. A few other kids had fungal rashes on their skin. And one boy, little Gapito, had a heart murmur that was much too loud to ignore.
                                                                            GAPITO
Another thing that we’ve been blessed with is a group of supporters who have given to us financially to help with special people such as Gapito. Thanks to your support, Gapito got his echocardiogram, and he was diagnosed with stenosis (narrowing) of his aortic valve. He is now in touch with a cardiologist and receiving appropriate follow-up. Perhaps someday he will need surgery to replace or open up the valve.

To thank us for our involvement in the diagnosis and coordination of Gapito’s care, his mom found me in the hospital one day and brought these hand-painted bowls as a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment